Simple Self-Care with Supported Reclining Cobblers Pose
Restorative Poses like this one are a simple, effective way to practise Self-Care. Here I’m demonstrating Supported Reclining Cobblers Pose
This is one of the
most relaxing of all Restorative Yoga poses.
Supported Reclining Cobblers Pose is ideal for relieving fatigue, headaches, breathing problems, aiding digestion and much more.
For women this is also a wonderful pose to practise during your time of the month and during menopause.
Using props such as pillows, cushions and blankets provide support and facilitate physiological relaxation. I sometimes set myself up in this pose for my daily Savasana if I am feeling particularly tired.
You can use a yoga bolster if you happen to have access to one, but you really don’t need any special props for this pose – just grab hold of as many blankets, pillows and cushions as you need to ensure you have enough support and feel comfortable. Stack your pillows/cushions/stacked blankets or bolster on your mat or the floor so that they are on a diagonal (your head will rest at the higher end). Here is how to get into the pose:
– Sit with your tailbone at the lower end of your pillows/cushions/blankets or bolster
– Lie back on your support using your arms to ease yourself down. Your head needs to be supported here too so do adjust as necessary (NB – you may wish to place an optional folded blanket or extra cushion under your head).
– Place the soles of your feet together with your knees out to each side. Place extra support under each knee so that your legs are supported. Allow your arms to relax by your sides or on your abdomen.
– Cover your eyes with an eye pillow or light scarf or close your eyes to take your focus inwards
– Stay in this pose for ideally 10 minutes, but longer if you like. (I can often stay here for 20 minutes.)
Enjoy practising this pose whenever you need it!